Dec 22, 2006

I'm dreaming of a wet Christmas


Just to give you a feel for the current environment: I am sitting here in the semi-darkness, typing by the lovely glow cast by the illuminated Solstice tree, eating Pringles chips with french onion dip while my son stays up well past his bedtime watching the old Rankin/Bass special Santa Clause Is Coming To Town in the living room.

Today marks the first of five days off for the holiday. I finished up my shopping. The goal was to find "two small schoolbuses" for my son, since this is what he told Santa *nudge nudge, wink wink* he wanted for Christmas. So, mission accomplished. It's supposed to be warm and rainy for pretty much the next three days, right through Christmas day. Not very festive, is it?

We had scheduled what was originally only supposed to be a physical for my son's pre-k school records, but the doctor noted that since he starts kindergarten next year that doing his immunizations today made sense (MMR, DDPT, polio, and a flu shot just for good measure). Judging by his reaction to the shots, I'm sure he thought it was decidedly not a good idea. We also confirmed what I had suspected for a couple of years - that my son has a mild hernia (what I believe to be an umbilical hernia, due to the position of the little bump and the lack of pain or discomfort). The doctor did not recommend surgery at this time, but now that I know for sure what it is I will keep an eye on that little bump. It's funny. He was a few weeks premature, but had well developed lungs and only had to stay in the neonatal unit for a week. It was discovered when he was an infant that he had a urinary tract condition known as Vesicoureteral Reflux (there are two types - he had what is known as primary VUR, which an individual is born with, is quite often genetic, and, according to the urologist, is most common in fair-haired girls), but thankfully it was determined at his last checkup a couple of years ago that he had outgrown the condition. Aside from those couple of little blips, he's pretty healthy. His height is average, his weight is just a tick above average (but certainly within the normal range for his age and height). He seems to be developing normally intellectually (he's very bright, even if he sometimes spouts gibberish for the heck of it - he can count to upwards of fourty, knows all of his shapes, colors, easily grasps concepts such as opposites and rhyming and can read and write his own name) and emotionally (this is the age of resistance, how fun!). And he has no allergies that we are aware of. I am always grateful that he's relatively healthy, espcially at this time of the year. Actually, I'm thankful that we're all healthy...Okay. Reflection and warm-fuzzy time's over now.

This part is for M: Remember what you said about the Christmas gift you gave me? How my son would claim it as his the minute he saw it? I think I owe you a dollar. He walked in the door yesterday evening, stopped in his tracks when he saw what was sitting on the couch, and squealed "A costume, Mommy! Is that for me?". He loves it, so I caved in and agreed to share it with him. Now I get joint custody of plushy Jack Skellington. I get visitation at night and on weekends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aw geez. hehe, but who can resist Jack??? xD


glad everyone is in good health.