Apr 9, 2007

Easter. Bunny.


Happy post-pagan-holiday! How's your blood sugar today? I'm still tweaking a bit, since we combined my son's birthday and the Spring fertility celibration all in one glorious occasion filled with colored cooked eggs (ha - I originally typed "eyes" there!), chocolate and cake. He got lots of good stuff and his grandpa brought him a dozen balloons. Not nearly as many folks came over as we had planned, so there was a lot of food. My brother-in-law lived up to his reputation for being a slack-ass and begged off sick. Except he's not bright enough to give the same story to everyone. Everyone compared notes, and that sparked a fun little bitch fest between his sister and step-dad, which resulted in my husband and I simultaniously quoting Monty Python ("Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who"). And my husband's grandmother acts like her younger son's conversion a couple of years ago was the most heartbreaking thing he could have ever done, so she spent a good part of the day lamenting that. There were also comments about "Jew food" resulting in excess gas and how surprised they were that we now had African American neighbors across the street...as if that's somehow unusual. I stopped listening after a certain point. I think I'll hand out Bat Mitzvah invitations this Christmas and see how that goes over.

We took my son to the beach for his actual birthday last Friday. We got a late start because we drove all over town looking for a place to have breakfast that wasn't packed (who knew so many people took off Good Friday?). We finally ended up at the most poorly run Denny's known to humanity. When we got to the beach it was the afternoon and it was still sooo cold. And windy. But, my son had fun getting covered in sand and dragging Mommy in and out of the water. I don't think he liked the waves much, though - he wouldn't wade out past his belly button. We went to his favorite restaurant for an early dinner later in the afternoon and called it a night.

I'm thinking of writing a poem called An Ode to Post Long Weekend Mondays. It would consist entirely of me flicking off people who ask me for anything. I guess it would be more like performance art...

No comments: