Jul 6, 2007

A lack of thinking on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.


To the member of the staff who decided to point her employee in my direction rather than put her foot down on this issue or 'fess up to her mistake: You have made an enemy. Prepare to meet your doom. The first mistake was lying to me when I called you to tell you that employees are not to contact me directly about payroll issues. I'm not the dumb one here, so be very careful what you say. You and the employee who called me were making very contradictory claims. Do not make statements that you are in absolutely no position to make a reality. I was very clear about my expectations, and pretty upfront about the fact that I would not be making corrections for employee or supervisor error. This instance was one or the other, and it really doesn't matter which. It all boils down to the fact that he didn't get paid, and was pretty pissed about it. It wasn't cool that I had to be put in the position of telling him he was not going to get a check until next week, at the earliest. It was also very bad, for all involved, that he rudely hung up the phone after I politley explained that this was an issue between him and the supervisor and I wasn't going to be able to get him a check today as he seemed to expect, no matter what happened. The system just does not work that way. This whole situation of that department pawning work off on me is getting ridiculous - it's time for people to start to carry their own weight. My patience is wearing perilously thin.

As an added bonus to that lovely exchange, we were notified that there will be budget cuts. The boss is out of the office until Monday, so I'm spared the hand-wrenching and dramatics until then. Hopefully, it won't be too bad for us. Somehow, that seems doubtful, however.

My co-worker is bored because the boss is gone and she doesn't have any work. Wow. Sucks to be you. Let me rush right out and buy a cake so that we can throw you a pity party. If you think you're over-educated and underutilized in your job, can you imagine what the hordes of people who pause in front of the wide-open door to wait for the elevator must think when they see you doing...well, the not very much of anything of real value that you do. For eight hours a day. It boggles the mind.


Hai. I need...




...Plzkthx!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm here for ya this Saturday!!!

in the wrods of the 90s, I'm totally psyched!!

B said...

Yayyy!

I spent part of the weekend re-watching Chamber of Secrets (I forgot how BAD the acting was on the part of Daniel, Emma and Rupert, although the over-simplified storyline & paraphrased, stilted dialogue was part of the problem, too) and Prizoner of Azkaban (much, much better on all fronts). I still have never seen Goblet of Fire, but from all accounts I'm not really missing much. I watched A TON of behind the scenes stuff for OTTP over the weekend, too. So. Yeah. I'm totally psyched, too!

By the way - I have tons of things to tell you. The juicy, naming-names stuff that I don't post here.