Aug 10, 2007

Bold marquees with stupid band names

People. I'm back. Again. For real this time. Antibiotics: wonder drug of the milennia. Now I must pose a dilemma to you. I had previously made tentative plans to see Tegan and Sara (for those who may not know, you can get a taste of their sound via their MySpace page) at a local show here in November. But now I've discovered that one of my other favorite bands is going to be at the same venue in the previous month - headlining with two other really great bands. So, now you know my cunundrum. What do I do? I can try to get my friend to see the show we had agreed on, but probably not both. I'm going to try to get my husband to go to the other show, even though this is way out of his musical tastes. He's not really into current music, which I find depressing since he works in radio part-time. Of course, it's a station that plays mostly 70's and 80's - and some very early 90's - "hits". He really does need to get out more...

I'm sitting here getting ready to make a CD for M. I know it will have all three versions of "Something Stupid" on it, and a few other songs that I like that she may not have heard. I'm debating on whether to put the new Shins song that she said she likes on there. That would require some...ah...detective work on my part. Maybe the next one, then. Tomorrow evening we go see Stardust. I'm all sorts of jazzed. Michelle Pfeiffer - looking fabulous. Robert De Niro. Peter O'Toole! It's gotten some mixed reviews, but it's my opinion that most professional movie reviewers have their heads situated squarely in their rectums. Not everything has to have "artistic merit". Sometimes we'd like you to let us have our pretty fantasy without you sanctimonious bastages feeling the need to pick it to shreds.

Feel free to harpoon Rush Hour 3, however. I'm pretty sure that one's going to suck.

I'm currently slowly reading through the copy of The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse that I bought off of Amazon when I ordered HP&TOOTP (since my husband was told it was currently out of print the last time he tried to buy it for me as a gift). It took forever to get here. Of course, it was shipped from Alaska...So far, it's a delightful (if totally twisted) story.

I love the character of Eddie the Teddy, although I imagine him in my head looking and sounding just like the teddy from Steven Speilberg's AI (but with the requisite mismatched button eyes from the book). The humor and the phrasing are just as British as. Only more so.
Like M, I'm suffering from some post-Potter withdrawal symptoms. Rankin, Pratchett and Gaiman are going to have to be the literary equivalent of Nicoderm CQ for me...

You know you live in a small town when there's a banner on your newspaper's website that says Breaking News: Early morning crash kills horse

This is the same town that had the run-away wrecking ball in the heart of downtown last month...Can you believe I sometimes think I might want to live there? And then sometimes I come to my senses and appreciate the benefits of living in a more urbanized "metro" area. Like not slamming my car into a horse...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so WHEN is tegan and sara?
how come people can say TEGAN, but not MEGAN.

your question exactly I'm sure.

teddy berrrrrrrrs!

B said...

Um. November. I'll get back to you with the specifics when I have them. I think the husband-person wants to beg off of going to the show in October. I think we've already addressed that his "fun" gene is deficient...

Anonymous said...

it teetering on fatal.

Anonymous said...

its*

B said...

Hmmm. Maybe it's a new "syndrom" and the pharm corporations will come out with a wonderful new drug to combat the sysmtoms of stick-in-the-mudism and general malaise?