Sep 10, 2007

Hi. Yes. I know you can't see me, as I am invisible.

I love how you shave time out of your busy schedule of doing very important stuff at work to accomodate someone bringing you important paperwork - that you'd asked for a week and a half ago! - and they bail on you. Not once. Oh, no. Twice. This is very freaking professional. Like I have so much spare time and I love nothing more than to sit and just twiddle my thumbs and wait for you.

Then, on top of that, they're hiring for an open position here in my office and my boss has decided that he needs no input from anyone else regarding what he needs in an assistant when determining who he will hire. The last boss did this. What did we end up with? An abrasive, overly-ambitious absentee assistant. Although she just got a promotion and nice pay raise after being here only six months, so at least this worked out for someone. I have done everything that this assistant would be asked to do (and then some), so you'd think that my two cents might come in handy. You'd think - but it seems like that as far as my boss is concerned I only exist to tell him how much money he has to spend and to solve everyone else's problems...and keep my advice to myself. And he doesn't seem to want me to tell him what is getting screwed up - just to smile and go about fixing it and just take on more and more work while I watch people get promoted for doing a fraction of what I do every day. It's a pretty sobering thought that, for as long as I've worked here now, my current boss does not really value my experience or my input. So I rarely offer it. It really sucks to wonder what all of your hard work and attempts at making a real contribution ultimately add up to...if anything at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah.
blips on "their" radars require acts of idiocy.
no worries. you're not capable of that type of action.

B said...

Oh, but it might guarantee a promotion, though. So I should probably try harder to be a screw-up. Or I should use all of my leave time as soon as I earn it. Or just never be around to do any work. Yeah. That'll help me climb the ladder of success here, for sure.