Jan 28, 2008

I don't know the meaning of the word!

According to my Hoops & Yoyo calendar, today is officially "Fun at work day". I'm sure for the people working at Hallmark on the Hoops and Yoyo brand this is true. For the most of the rest of us daily-grinding grunts...probably not so much. For those of you who enjoy your jobs and actually have fun at work on occassion...do me a favor and keep it to yourself. Thanks! (I'm pegging an 8.5 on the Bitter Meter today)

This morning I got an e-mail saying that one of our company cars had been stolen from one of our parking lots, and that it had been located, but my department is responsible for paying for the repairs (broken steering column, busted ignition, some tire damage). I'm waiting on a call to get the name of the individual in my department who was the one to check out the vehicle and did not follow the vehicle return policy (did not park in the secure area as instructed and did not use the security device), which resulted in it apparently being an easy target for joyriders. Failure to follow clearly communicated policies should have consequences, right? And people in other departments are talking about it, which I hope embarasses the person who allowed this to happen to no end.

I have a small mountain of work I've assigned myself today, as well as distributing W-2's to my department's full and part-timer's. The bosses have decided to hire a temp for the front desk, which frustrates me because we can't give temps access to anything - as "contract workers" they don't get assigned employee IDs, so they're not actually employees. So we're basically getting a warm body, at a signifigant markup. I hate paying the temp agency that percentage (seems like such a waste), and I hate having to start over from scratch about policy, procedure, day-to-day operations, how to answer the phone, where the bathrooms are, why not to eat in the cafeteria, blah blah blah. And a temp is only a short-term solution, anyway.

I spent the weekend putting my house back in semi-living condition - putting stuff up on the walls (finally!) and fixing the broken couch so that we didn't have to buy a new one. There's still a ton to do, though. But it's getting there. Sloooowly.

No comments: