Jan 22, 2008

That's not water you're standing in.

A water main broke over on the peninsula and several buildings are currently without water. I drank a large mug of coffee this morning before I was aware of the situation, and now every time I have to use the restroom (which has been about every half hour, like clock work) I have to walk to the next building over.

Coming back after extended weekends is the worst. We spent most of the long weekend tearing two rooms apart and rearranging them. We're almost finished. I don't care for it (the whole thing wasn't my idea), but I'll live with it.
I was really late to work this morning, and it took forever to really wake up and feel like I could function. I stayed up late last night while my husband set our computer back up on the new desk we just got. I've been having trouble sleeping (again) as well. I've been reading World War Z, which, while is a very good book (if you're into that kind of thing), does absolutely nothing for my irrational fear of an actual zombie apocalypse. Go ahead and laugh. I'm like the kid who is already afraid of the dark but stays up late reading ghost stories under the covers with a flashlight, jumping at every little noise and fleeting shadow. Last night in the pitch dark my son woke up, silently came into my room and then very loudly announced (while standing right next to my side of the bed) that he had to go to the bathroom. I swear - he woke me and my husband from a sound sleep and I almost peed my pants. It really freaks me out when he does that. And he's been pretending to be a "brains eating zombie" since Halloween, which is both amusing and slightly creepy to me at the same time. I think he does it just to unnerve me now.

I got a call this afternoon from one of the supervisors asking me if it is okay that an employee turns in a timesheet tomorrow. There was a long silence before I responded that it had been years since timesheets came to me at all, and he really needed to direct that to his payroll contact in his department, which seemed to confuse him utterly. Later, I helped someone who has worked here almost three times as long as me and makes a good bit more figure something out this afternoon - apparently I'm the only one in the building who knows how to do this particular process, and people are being directed to me by other departments. Instead of being remotely gratifying, this induces in me feelings of almost nuclear level irritation and mild disgust. None of the manangers want to follow the basic paperwork processes, since half of them have lost their support staff. They act like it's beneath them to fill out a simple form, or they don't understand the point of it. Hey, it's not like we're being audited...oh, wait. We are! Well, criticism of records is for peons like me to worry about. That's why I'm here. My sole purpose on Earth. Without it, I am nothing. I'd wither to dust and be blown away by the wind.

Oh, plus we had another resignation today. I can't imagine why...

The good news is that I think I'll take the whole day off on Friday when I get my permanent crown put in. And right now I'm listening to the Kooks CD that M gave me (yes - I could tell from the first song, even though it wasn't labeled).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"this induces in me feelings of almost nuclear level irritation"

its a keeper. :}

another res? clues? registration? butcher, baker, candlestick-maker?

I was mildly surprised at how listenable that cd is. I didn't expect good songs, for heaven's sake!! I'm so close-minded.
I forgot!! I've never given you back your Tori Amos! dang girl.
Will do!

Greek Glendi?

B said...

Yes. I've been attaching "nuclear" to my anger levels a lot. I think I should make a handy threat level chart to post on my bulletin board. That way, they all couldn't say they weren't warned when they all get yelled at for being useless and giving me a brain tumor.

The resignation was within the unit. Room 117, if that rings any bells.

The Kooks are awesome. I'm surprised it took ya this long to find them. I think I included Lily Allen's cover of 'Naive' on one of the cds I made you.

Greek Glendi??


Who whaaat?