
The good news is, I got my evaluation and it was overall a positive one. The criticisms were constructive, and I agreed with them (networking is not something I'm good at, but would help me immensely, and I need to learn to delegate, even if it means watching something go down in flames due to ineptitude). It was also revealed that "someone" had told my boss when he came on last year that I would be his biggest "problem" (he said he found the opposite to be true). I know who that "someone" is, and they caused more problems than they solved before their uncerimonious departure, and they may find it in their best interest to not ever allow their considerable shadow to darken my door again. I appreciated the encouragement and positive affirmations said in my favor, even if the meeting was very brief, and I appreciate the effort to have me shifted over to the other administrative area for my benefit. I do think there's probably an ulterior motive, but if it ends up being a win-win for everyone involved, then I won't concern myself with it. I'm just glad to have that process done and over with.
I got a china cabinet from a friend at work, and it's great. It's an older piece of furniture - just a year older than I am - but it fits in well enough with the rest of the living room pieces and I can display my glassware and collectibles that have been stored in the attic for almost ten years. The night my husband and I picked up the base we spent hours gossiping with my coworker. We picked up the actual cabinet peice last night and in the quest to reclaim my depression glass from the depths of my attic I also rediscovered a box of hockey collectibles, and I'll be going through my rather large card collection to see if e-bay offers a chance to make some extra coin. If I remember correctly, I had a Gretzky card that was worth about $50 back in the late 90s. I won't sell my signed pucks - those will go in my son's room if they're still in decent condition.
I have no bosses today. One is sick and the other is out of town for a wedding in the midwest. So my motivation is...well, all I'll say is you have as much luck locating that as you do of finding a singing leprechaun riding a unicorn having tea with Bigfoot. I spent part of the morning sort of playing hookey by browsing in the bookstore a couple blocks over from my office, where I bought myself some books as a birthday present to myself (a signed, first-edition hardcover by Douglas Preston that was half off (!!); Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk; The Road by Cormac McCarthy). Once I've worked my way through these, I'll be reading The Ruins and attempting to begin Terry Pratchett's Discworld series from the beginning. I'm really looking forward to my birthday this year. There are plans to celebrate it by doing something fun with some of my most loved people on the actual day (Saturday), and that is a perfect storm of awesome.
My husband met with my son's kindergarten teacher today. She said she has been very pleased by his progress, and that he is one of her best students. According to her, he excels academically, reading on probably a fourth-grade level and doing exceedingly well in math as well (she's sending the third grade word list home with him over the summer, but we're pretty sure he can already read all of the words and use them in context in a sentence). She suggested that we request a specific teacher for next year who will be able to offer him a little more challenge, and then see how he adjusts, but she recommended him for the gifted program. His exposure to the older kids in his after school program has also helped his social and emotional development. We'll think about it over the summer and see whether or not the gifted program is in his best interests - we don't want to push him too hard too early. He is only six.
5 comments:
what a hell of an update!!
where to start? I'll chat with you on Saturday!
barbie? ms. sawyer/red squirrel? your boss is a gullible idiot. if a pair of boobs from planet Vulcan told him to take Lorraine out to the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, he'd ask no questions and do it, believing the whole time that the boobs were telling the truth.
anyway. good for you, screw the motive; if it gives you what you need then thats awesome!
No, it was the temporary boss just before this one, the one who said I wasn't a "team player". Because I didn't kiss his considerably sized hiney.
ooooh, yeah. what a fattie.
adn your kid is genius btw!!!!
The kid is too smart sometimes. But he seems to have inherited my warped sense of humor, so he's going to be one of those weird/smart kids.
I loved your Back to the Future reference. :)
oh, why thank you.
Post a Comment