Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields
I spent an hour earlier this afternoon watching the Kentucky Derby pre-race coverage that involved constant cut-ins to interviews with "celebrities" walking a press juncit. The interviews consisted mainly of some annoying, condescending interviewer that reminded me of a slightly less gay Ryan Seacrest clone asking clueless people of dubious levels of fame about their hats or their race picks. An amazing number couldn't even name a single horse running today. (I'm personally pulling for the filly, Eight Belles.) Precious little time was spent actually profiling the horses and jockeys that would be participating in the race. Instead, we had constant pandering to America's national cultural obsession with celebrities, which caused me to reflexively change the channel. You'd have thought this was a crappy movie premier, not one of America's most historic horse races.
I'm also annoyed that the Derby seems to be sponsored by the Yum Brands fast food company. During one of the advertising breaks, they aired a commercial stating that KFC was the fastest growing restaurant chain in China. So, the West has finally found the way to defeat Communism, and it's not military might. It's actually obesity and type 2 diabetes. A few more years of subversively introducing the best (worst?) that capitalism has to offer, and maybe that old joke about having "more Chins than China" will have to be changed to "less chins than the Chinese".
Update: What a sad ending to that race. Really tragic, actually. She ran a good race.
On a brighter note, my son is much better after suffering from a virus late Thursday night into Friday. I had a really stressful day scheduled for yesterday, and waking up at 3 am (to take care of the kid, as well as clean and sanitize the bathroom), then again at 5:30 am, and again at around 6 am really took its toll. But at least my husband was willing to stay home, so that I could pick up the coffee I'd ordered and deliver the food that I'd bought on Thursday to the morning meeting that had been planned for weeks. A manager had the group thank me for making sure they got fed (and had the meeting at all - I planned the whole damn thing), but my boss didn't even acknowledge any of it. But he sure did eat the pastries and drink the coffee...
(Update: My boss sent me a thank-you letter for my part in organizing the meeting. I think the other supervisor may have initiated it, but my boss's signature is on it, and that's what counts.)
No comments:
Post a Comment