May 12, 2008

What smells like a funeral parlor in here?

This morning when I came in to work the maintenance crew was in the middle of diagnosing a huge ceiling leak that happened right outside my office door. This is the second leak this year, only this time it was from the cooling system instead of from the refrigerator in the break room upstairs malfunctioning. They had a guy come and fix the pipe and replace the acoustic tile that basically had disintegrated all over the furniture in the common reception area (what the temp e-mailed to the maintenance office as a "whole" in the ceiling...). Too bad the leak wasn't in my office. Right over my desk. And too bad I'm going to have to start buying the single serve creamers that you don't have to refrigerate, because someone used up all of the specialty creamer I brought in a couple weeks ago. Again. I don't mind sharing what I bring in, but this stuff went fast, and I didn't use that much of it. Plus, only two of us regularly bring in food and supplies for the office, and it's those who don't really reciprocate who use/eat the majority of what is brought in. I suppose it's a little shallow of me to get annoyed about this, but this is also the person who has used up all of our stock of Lysol wipes compulsively cleaning the top of the reception desk (my desk is usually too covered with papers for me to even attempt to clean it). This is also the person who puts on extremely strong perfumed lotions at her desk, and was miffed when I told her she should not be spraying air fresheners or deodorizers in the restroom since the restroom in this building is considered public, and we have a common circulation system. It's a courtesy to not spray things that are going to make their way through the vents into other departments - the smell of curry and burnt popcorn that I was subjected to when the door to this suite was being kept open made me appreciate that "Summer Rains" room spray may not appeal to everyone, either. This is not a personal residence, after all, and I don't look forward to getting a headache from someone else's need to be cloaked in obnoxious scent at all times.

For Mother's Day I received a really great gift: a new 4GB usb flash drive. I'm in the process of transferring the files from my old one over to the new device, since the old one seems to have become irrevocably corrupted. Considering the massive amounts of files I transport back and forth, it doesn't really surprise me. And my old drive is a couple years old, anyway. It's one of the best gifts I've gotten from my husband in a while, and I was quite surprised that he remembered that I'd mentioned the problems I was having transferring my files. Thoughtful and practical!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I suppose it's a little shallow of me to get annoyed about this"
how is this shallow?
geez.

thats gross, they need to be on top of the maintenance.

and Happy Mother's Day!! That IS an awesome gift, you have tonnns of files.

Anonymous said...

btw, with all the photos of alligators, and lobstees, your blog is skankin me out! I hate tose things! haha!

update.

B said...

I guess you'd be pretty skeeved if I tossed a cephalopod into the mix with the crustaceans and crocodilians, huh?

I need to update - tons of things to say. But...no time. NO. TIME!