My husband officially found out last week that he is diabetic.
He and his doctor suspected it for a while. So now, at the age of 30, my husband is taking a blood pressure drug, something for triglycerides, and an insulin pill, as well as something over the counter for heartburn/acid reflux and a couple of multivitamins and Omega 3 on the advice of his primary care physician. He grumbles a lot about how he was so much healthier when he was a smoker (he's been cigarette free for a year now). I say he attributed a lot of these symptoms to his addiction to nicotine, and he's only now getting around to seeing doctors, being properly diagnosed, and being treated. Bottom line - he needs to take better care of himself. He sometimes makes a bigger deal about my weight than I do myself...in which case, I usually throw back the fact that my body may have some excess emergency reserves, but at least it isn't at war with itself.When I went to pick my son up from camp on Friday afternoon as I was buckling him into the car I noticed his shorts were covered with something. I asked him what he got on his clothes and he told me he threw up on himself. This led to a series of questions that I didn't get very sufficient answers to, and a discussion with my husband when we got home. We probably aren't going to push the issue or make a big deal out of this, mainly because we're not sure if we're getting straight answers from our precious snowflake. But I have to ask -- what kind of camp program lets a kid run around all day covered in his own throw up (not to mention not calling or even issuing an incident report so that we could be informed about what happened)? I really can't wait for school to start - I haven't had good feelings about this program from the beginning and I'm not sure we'll be seeking to enroll the kid next summer.
I'm counting down the days until my first vacation of the year - the clock is ticking at two and a half weeks. This one is short, but well needed and, I think, much deserved. I think it's been a couple of years since we've taken a "real" vacation. Plus, both trips this year will be road trips, which makes them double awesome. Add the long Independence Day holiday in there, and I'm hopeful that rest and a restored peace of mind will be in short order.
No comments:
Post a Comment