I have to hand it to the Republicans, and McCain's camp specifically - for a party that has displayed such a condescending attitude towards mere wordy speechifying (and that fancy, elitist booklearning), they sure have a skill with the theatrics. Better orchestrated propaganda than John McCain's bio video and entry to the convention I haven't seen in quite some time. I love the fact that there was more diversity featured in the video than probably existed in the whole crowd in attendance the last three nights. And right to the POW and September 11th references we go. I also noted that McCain's video didn't feature his first wife, or his oldest daughter, who he is supposedly not on speaking terms with...and I'm totally making my voting decisions on the power of his mother's word. No. And McCain should just let Palin do all of the speaking for him - by comparison, she has more of a talent for it (and by "it" I mean rabid fundamental zealotry and pandering to a willing audience), despite the seemingly affected midwestern accent, and he's awfully stiff up there at that podium (he's fumbled a bit, too...did he catch the spectre of Death impatiently looking at his watch stage right and nervously goofed the timing of the words appearing on the teleprompter screen?).
I just can't figure how the Republican party has now co-opted the "change" and "for the average joe" mantra that they've been attempting to ridicule and minimize for months now. NOW they distance themselves form the policies of the last eight years, from members of their own freaking party? All of a sudden they have to "recover" the people's trust? I thought they said everything was great!? These sentiments reek of false pretenses, to me.
(Ummm. What the hell just happened? Was that a total set up, or what? Who did they just escort out of the building? A protestor? Riiiight. More news at 11, I guess...)
Ohhhh! Sarah Palin has balanced a budget! So have I! Maybe I should join the PTA, and run for city council and set myself up as having "executive" experience. Whatever the hell that even actually means. I also don't get how McCain is making a point to mention how Palin understands what it is to pay a mortgage and worry about the price of a gallon of gas. Is that part of the reason she was selected to run as VP - because the candidate for the big chair doesn't come off as understanding or being able to relate to the issues affecting typical Middle America?
Wait. What is the "me first, country second" crowd being referred to? Babyboomers? But...the opposite of that would be "country first, me second"...which is...ah...something like...fervent nationalism. Inching towards socialism? With just a hint of communism? Oh. Awesome.
"Help workers whose jobs went away find a new one that won't go away"
(Ummm. What the hell just happened? Was that a total set up, or what? Who did they just escort out of the building? A protestor? Riiiight. More news at 11, I guess...)
Ohhhh! Sarah Palin has balanced a budget! So have I! Maybe I should join the PTA, and run for city council and set myself up as having "executive" experience. Whatever the hell that even actually means. I also don't get how McCain is making a point to mention how Palin understands what it is to pay a mortgage and worry about the price of a gallon of gas. Is that part of the reason she was selected to run as VP - because the candidate for the big chair doesn't come off as understanding or being able to relate to the issues affecting typical Middle America?
Wait. What is the "me first, country second" crowd being referred to? Babyboomers? But...the opposite of that would be "country first, me second"...which is...ah...something like...fervent nationalism. Inching towards socialism? With just a hint of communism? Oh. Awesome.
"Help workers whose jobs went away find a new one that won't go away"

I also need to just note that my husband misread a sign during last night's convention speech. Instead of "Hockey moms 4 Palin", he read it as "Honkey moms 4 Palin". One is probably just as accurate as the other, right?
4 comments:
If you already knew that McCain was a POW, then you learned approximately nothing by watching the speech last night. He might as well have gotten on stage and peed all over the podium.
Because that is what his whole freaking campaign revolves around! Without that, his speeches (and those of his supporters and advocates) would be about 15 minutes long! I respect his service, but godammit - if being a vateran and POW qualifies one for President, then I might as well write in the name of half of the homeless guys sleeping on benches in the park downtown. Hell...they might have the wherewithal to come up with more progressive education and energy policies, too.
I think he was wearing his depends last night, so even if he did let go a wee the stage would stay dry - obviously, they didn't want to lose their security deposit on the staging.
See, there I go busting on an old guy. I have no shame.
But I did tell my husband (who did the smart thing and slept right through lasts night's speech) that it was like watching a talking corpse after rigor mortis had started to set in.
There I go again...
No shame. Mmmmhmmm.
I hate Sarah Palin. And McCain is the one POW that should not have come back alive.
Ooooh. That is a little harsh. Of course, McCain's bio video at the RNC did insinuate that he might have been saved - twice in his life - by a "higher power" because he would be calle upon later in life to serve a "higher purpose". We should just overlook those previous failed bids for the Presidency, of course, since those were so obviously God's will also...
Post a Comment