Dec 16, 2008

Portents of something slightly less dramatic than doom

My soon to be boss invited me out to lunch with all of my new coworkers, which was nice. We gorged ourselves on Cuban-style cuisine, including flan for dessert. The boss chose that setting to tell the department that the person she'd hired as the new business manager decided to turn down the job offer after initially accepting it (she'd already attended a couple of brainstorming sessions and was supposed to actually start in January). They don't know if they'll offer the position to the seond choice who no one was really crazy about, or start the search all over again. I don't know what this means for me, either, but I've moved half my stuff to my new office, and tomorrow I'm supposed to meet with my current departments to outline how my transition upstairs will be undertaken, and discuss whose workload is changing because of the restructure. I'll be surprised if there isn't any resistance from the rank and file, and I don't want to be put in a position to have to remind some people about how they should feel pretty lucky to even have a job...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should do just that. I wouldn't be turning down job offers. I mean, holy crap, how is that possible!!

B said...

Oh, but they don't see it that way, and I might hurt someone's precious little feelings by being so blunt. Anyway, they're handing our salary supplements to some of them, and honestly many of them don't have nearly enough to occupy their eight hour day, so they might as well get some of this stuff delegated out to them. They'll get more training than I ever did, that's for sure.

I don't know how someone turns down a job offer they've formally accepted, either, but it happens. I guess she either got a good counter offer by her current employer, or she realized how disfunctional this place is. I thinking it's probably BOTH.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could see the dysfunctional coming tho. Cause I never can. dang.

we need new lines of work!

B said...

I'm up for being a professional mime. My hands: you can't control them - you can only hope to contain them...in a giant invisible box!!!

Anonymous said...

you and your morbid fascination with mimes!! it makes me laugh, but inside somewhere, I'm running scared, crying as I go!