Jul 18, 2006

The school of hard knocks don't give you no paper, fool


Today was the second time in as many weeks that someone in a position of power at work (an overling, as it were) has questioned why I never sought any advanced education (i.e. college - community or otherwise). Now, the reasons why are multiple and very personal - let's just simply say I never felt the need to put my parents or myself into debt for something I wasn't sure I could fully dedicate myself to, and leave it at that. I'm totally flattered that they think I'm smart. I work hard at that. It's certainly better than everyone thinking I'm clueless. I guess it shouldn't be so weird to me that higher-ups in higher education would value that piece of paper that says you got some learning done inbetween those raging keggers at the frat house [hey, I work in higher ed - unnecessary stereotypes are fun, no?!]. I'd like to take classes, but I work full time and have a preschooler. How do I find the time and what good is a degree in Liberal Arts to a clerical worker drone like myself? Not having a degree doesn't negate my innate intelligence. In fact, who's to say that going to college wouldn't have dulled my ability to be such an independent learner? Sometimes I'm sure I made the right choice. But other times, seeing how much value others place on that little certificate makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something. Then I go home and sit in front of the tv with some ice cream and I realize that I'm totally without term papers or homework and (relatively) debt free - and I laugh. Just a little.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"seeing how much value others place on that little certificate makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something."yeah. don't.
its a choice. and America shouldn't make you choose.
but they will try their damn-dest.
you've got the right perspective.

but it doesn't get you off scot-free. I make you help me with my projects, for which you are a great resource and happy to help out. hey, someone has to support me, and it sure isn't my parents. so enjoy next fall. I have 3 anthro classes lined up, one of them all archaeology. woot.

Anonymous said...

I had a bunch of comments on this hur blog that neva showed up!!! say whut.

B said...

Oh noes! I can't tell you what happened, I'm a bit of a newbie here, so I guess when I changed the comment settings it wiped out any unapproved comments? What.

B said...

Dear Megan: Your comments will finally post. They are being held hostage by the comment moderator function which I didn't even know was enabled all this time. They will be liberated months later when I switch over to the beta version.
Love,
Maus (from the future!)