Apr 27, 2009

Pandemic watch - the mood is tense



Variations on "flu" and "swine flu" are the highest rated trending topics on Twitter. I'm sure you're all as over the flu coverage as I am, so I'll try to give you something more interesting to read. Don't expect too much though...

I had a busy weekend, which is good, but kind of tiring. I had to get up early and get my son registered for summer camp. This year, instead of doing YMCA camp, we opted to sign him up for city play camp at the park up the street. Not only is it closer (half a block), but it is also saving us over a hundred dollars a month. Hooray for saving some coin. After standing in line for registration, and plunking down a good deal of money - the one downside is that payment is up front, instead of in weekly installments - we ran to the grocery store, came home to put the food away, and then ran out the door to try and meet up with one of my coworkers at the Fish and Wildlife open house event. We kept missing each other in the crowd, so we never met up, and my son and I left after an hour. We had plans to go to dinner with that same coworker that evening, so we dropped our son off at his grandparent's house for the night, and headed out to dinner. After dinner we went to the liquor super store. I bought Kahlua, and my husband picked up some more gin and some olive brine for making dirty martinis. Then we headed back to my coworker's house for drinks and some gossip. We didn't leave her house until after one in the morning. Slept in on Sunday, then went out to breakfast. After my in-laws delivered the kid back to us after church, we ran around to a couple of local nurserys looking at plants. I really wanted to go swimming yesterday, since it was a perfect day for it, but we were running around too much. I had to go to the park and fix the summer camp registration this morning - somehow it got charged incorrectly on Saturday. So I was late, and of course today would be the day when my boss wanted to talk to me about something first thing in the morning.

By the way, according to the people in charge of keeping track of statistics that only get utilized in times of mass hysteria: "...every year this decade...between 30,000 and 50,000 American deaths were recorded from complications related to the seasonal (common) flu. Another 40,000 people died in automobile accidents. And each year, gunshot wounds account for 30,000 deaths, around 4,000 people drown while swimming or boating and 60 people die from lightning strikes."


So go eat some bacon and chill the f*&k out, folks.

3 comments:

m said...

bacon by the pool!!!!!!!!

you did so much in the weekend, thats nuts!!
not really restful, but you got a lot done. doing that much stuff push out a bit of that funk? Hope so.

I never look at myself as someone susceptible to a statistic. I know it can happen to anyone, but I never view it that way. I plan things in my life and try to enjoy parts of each day. I don't dwell on potential illnesses, and these media feeding frenzy would be better if there were BBQ involved. I agree.

hey, are we gettin together anytime before yo bday?

B said...

I think BLTs are great pool-side food. And sangria.

I dunno if we'll get together before Birthdaypalooza. We can try. Do you have any openings in your schedule? I have to take some time off right at the end of the school year, because there's a break right before summer camp starts. I figure Dev and I may be able to do a jaunt over to see you and we could go visit Snooty or go over to Mote on one of those days if you have the time/cash?

Wolverine is out. Are you SUPER EXCITED?

m said...

I AM SUPER EXCITED. Why? BECAUSE OF DE SEXY!!!!!!!!!!

snooty is a must do. I will get back to you on what days I can chill. they are a-changing.