So here we are, again reminded of the old saw "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I just returned from dropping the dog off at the vet for surgery. We had to take her to the emergency vet clinic yesterday because I'd discovered she had a swollen ear on Saturday. It turns out that she developed an aural hematoma, which is a collection of blood in the ear flap, due to trauma. According to the vet at the emergency clinic and the vet at the animal hospital, ear hematomas are pretty common in dogs, especially the floppy-eared breeds, and can result from either the dog scratching at the ear, or vigorously shaking its head, due to any number of things. In this case, my dog has had chronic ear infections, and shakes her head a lot. It just so happened that this weekend she may have shaken her head a little too violently, and caused injury to the blood vessels in her ear. The hematoma required surgery, and the vet is also going to treat her ear infections, wich are not only affecting the outer ear, but now the middle ear as well. She also suggested that the infections may be a result of a possible allergy, and said we should try altering her diet to see if that might help a little - otherwise she seems to be in excellent health and great spirits. She'll be in surgery today, then recovery this afternoon. I'll take a half day off work tomorrow and pick her up in the morning.

Two vet trips...
Two minor surgeries...
Four prescriptions...
And almost a thousand dollars later
5 comments:
:( that sounds unpleasant. Hope she is alright, shes such a sweety.
I'll pray because these things can always go unexpectedly.
It didn't seem to bother her, actually, but I couldn't imagine letting her stay like that to see if it healed itself (I was reading that they sometimes will, but with a higher rate of recurrence and scarring than if you have them surgically treated). Hopefully, we'll be able to get to the bottom of the ear problem she's had for most of her life, and we can make it so that she'll be much more comfortable now in her "senior years". And maybe she'll be a little less smelly -- her ears can get pretty malodorous, which is just annoying and gross.
This just means I'll be in cc debt for a *little* longer than I'd planned. I realized this morning that I'd just plopped down more money for this little procedure than I think I'd spent on clothes for all of last year. Insane!!
aw.
well, I think it will help with the odor yes.
glad its all alright.
what a cute picture!!!
She looks oddly happy there, doesn't she? She keeps rubbing her bandaged ear with her paw, though. I take her back Friday to have the bandages changed - if she doesn't stop messing with her ear she may have to wear a "cone", which would be quite photo-worthy...
Post a Comment