Apr 21, 2009

I'd just like to point out that you were given every opportunity to succeed

I had a flash drive malfunction on me last week, and managed to lose all of the personal documents I'd been transporting back and forth on that device since Christmas. This is the second or third flash drive that has crapped out on me in a year. Either I'm doing something wrong, or they're just really unreliable for data storage. Either way, I lost a bunch of images (nothing personal - just lolcats and demotivators for the most part) and the most up to date version of my resume. So I spent part of yesterday and today trying to recreate my resume. I revised some things, and added some projects that I'd been working on lately. I had to scrap the template I used yesterday, because the formatting was botched. I reverted back to my old template, and I think it looks better - I just need to proofread and edit. I'm applying for a job at the main branch. It would bring a substantial increase, a change of scenery, some new challenges, and a much longer work commute. I have to weigh my personal comfort level against any potential gains and the best interests of my family, and it boils down to the fact that in the face of our long term plans (including a potential move by or around 2012) we could really use the money. So there you have it. All the motivation I could ever need. But I'm sure more motivation will come my way soon enough. Oh look - there comes some now!

Mid-week update of doom: This morning we got an email from the management that our budget cuts are expected to range anywhere from 5% to 19% - on top of the 19% that's already been cut over the last two years. How can an organization survive an almost 40% reduction in resources? Or is the question really can an organization survive that? The bizarre thing is, our business itself is seeing an upswing, but so much of our funding comes from the state that we're just eviscerating departments and programs to appease this legislative baying for blood, even as the need to provide services increases. So what you've got is a core group of staff "doing more with less", because no one knows how to effectively manage much of anything, especially money. They just spent $12K renovating the CEO's office so that the very disgruntled assistant would get her own office space again. So now she can stop being a spiteful and petty **** and get back to work, right? Because I'm doing work that supposedly I'm not "qualified" to do, which is why they had to hire an accountant at double my salary, but somehow I'm doing work that people who make twice what I do have in their job descriptions.

1 comment:

m said...

How on earth have they mismanaged it that badly? Talk about hemorraging...

go you for applying for another job.